Having run MySQL successfully for a while in a WAMP environment, I'm trying
to set up on Linux now (and am a real Linux newbie). I'm using the 4.3.1
version that came as an RPM with SuSE 8.2. The problem is - it doesn't work.

Here's where the various elements have installed to:

/usr/bin
    various mysql progs & scripts, incl
    mysql
    mysqladmin
    mysql_install_db
    safe_mysqld
 etc

/usr/sbin
    mysqld

/var/lib/mysql
    mysql.sock
    mysql.log
    linux-bin.001 etc

when I run mysql_install_db (in /usr/bin), it creates the 'mysql' dir in
var/lib/mysql - so the path to the default database files becomes:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql/

>From /usr/bin, I run:
    safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
and get the message
    Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
but then the daemon shuts down straight away.

When I look in the log file, I find:
    /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)

It looks as though the mysql_install_db has put the files in the wrong
place. Can anyone give me some advice as to how I sort this out...? Thanks.

Steve