On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:40:47PM -0400, Mojtaba Faridzad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to define for example 100 fields in a table. 8 of them are more
> important and many queries just need these fields. Should I define them
> before the other fields in the table or it doesn't matter? Is accessing the
> the beginning fields faster than the other fields?

What's most important is that you define the consecutively.  It'll
minimize the number of disk seeks necessary (on average) to retrieve
them.

Out of reading convenience, though, I'd put them at the beginning.
I'm a firm believer in putting the most important stuff first just as
a way of self-documenting my database tables.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 6 days, processed 195,455,826 queries (350/sec. avg)