I install mysql4.0.13 on windowsXP by using the installation wizard. Next I start mysql using NET START mysql, then I try to change my root password 'mysqladmin -u root password "foobarke". Try to login with the new root passwd I get error access denied. But I can login as root using nothing as passwd. Then I try using the grant option : GRANT ALL ON *.* TO root IDENTIFIED BY "foobarke"; logout relogin can't login with foobarke as passwd but I can with nothing as passwd for the root user ?
By nothing I mean nothing like "". Even if I create a new user : GRANT ALL ON *.* TO user IDENTIFIED BY "foobarke"; I can't login with the user using foobarke as passwd. But I can with nothing as passwd.
How can this be ??