Check your PHP installation. Create a PHP file with the following lines

<?php

  phpinfo();

?>

then  check te output, which should be a list of all configuration
parameters for PHP and verify that you have mySQL support.

Should be a part something like

mysql
      MySQL Support enabled
      Active Persistent Links 0
      Active Links 0
      Client API version 3.23.49
      MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE external
      MYSQL_SOCKET /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
      MYSQL_INCLUDE -I/usr/include/mysql
      MYSQL_LIBS -L/usr/lib -lmysqlclient -L/usr/lib -z

If you don't have it then you need to re install PHP with mySQL support.