I would like to auto-increment within an auto-incremented value.
For example, if I have a rental agreement(auto-incremented) and that rental agreement
becomes month-to-month.

I was thinking that I would want to track the receipts as such:

Contract # | Type | Second Auto # | Duration |payment total
1              |  1     |   1                   | 6 months|  6,000
1              |  2     |   1                   | 1 month  | 1,000
1              |  2     |   2                   | 1 month  | 1,000

As you can see, the contract stays the same (1), but the Contract Type changes to
2(month-to-month). When this happens, the first transaction is reset to auto-increment
from that point forward.

The third record illustrates the second auto-incremented #, within the Type #2.

Although I have seen many auto-incremented examples, I have yet to see one that
auto-increments within another auto-incremented value.

Any suggestions or examples would be appreciated.
Thanks.