* Eldrid Rensburg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I have exported tables from MySQL 3.23 to a text file script containing all
> its 'create table', indexing, etc, statements.
> Is there an open-source / freeware tool to generate Entity Relationship
> Diagrams from this script file ?
> If not what other tools exist ?

The problem with this approach is that SQL Tables do NOT translate
directly to ER. In some cases yes, but the ER is not necessarily the DB
Schema and visa versa. Total relationships are not there in the schema
but are in the ER for example. The same with aggregates and so forth.

As to doing ER, you can use Dia <http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/>
which will also do UML.

Now, it shouldn't be hard to go from your SQL script file to a UML type
diagram (ala Absess and Oracle) but I'm not aware of utils that do that
either.

--
 .''`.      Carl B. Constantine
: :' :     [EMAIL PROTECTED]