I'm writing an application that uses the MySQL embedded server as the
datasource but for some reason, I can't link in the mysqld library. I'm
using the following command:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dbil $ gcc -g -o test `mysql_config --cflags
--libmysqld-libs` dbiltest.c

where

       [EMAIL PROTECTED] dbil $ mysql_config --cflags --libmysqld-libs
                        -I'/usr/include/mysql'
-L'/usr/lib/mysql' -lmysqld -lpthread -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm  -lpthread
and

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dbil $ ls /usr/lib/mysql
libdbug.a    libmyisammrg.a     libmysqlclient_r.a   libmystrings.a
libheap.a    libmysqlclient.a   libmysqlclient_r.la  libmysys.a
libmerge.a   libmysqlclient.la  libmysqlclient_r.so  libnisam.a
libmyisam.a  libmysqlclient.so  libmysqld.a          libvio.a

However, I'm still getting this error:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot
find -lmysqld
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The problem, obviously, is the fact that the linker isn't finding
libmysqld, when it exists in one of the libraries included in its path.

What's the deal here?!? How can I placate the linker gods?

Thanks for your help.