> CREATE TABLE do_deductibles (
>   currency varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
>   assets int(20) NOT NULL default '0',
>   deductible int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
>   do_deductibles_id int(5) NOT NULL auto_increment,
>   PRIMARY KEY  (do_deductibles_id),
>   UNIQUE KEY do_deductibles_idx (currency,assets)
> ) TYPE=ISAM PACK_KEYS=1;

This is definitely a bug with MySQL.  Where do I report these
things?

I tracked the problem down to this:

UNIQUE KEY do_deductibles_idx (currency,assets)

If I remove this line altogether from the create table and run
the queries provided in my previous post, everything works
as expected.  If I added the above line but removed the key
word UNIQUE, everything works as expected.  But if I leave
the above line in the create query in whole, the first MAX
query that is run return NULL as does every query there
after until I qualify the MAX column to be IS NOT NULL then
the query and all subsequent queries thereafter work as
expected.

Chris