I think I need to clarify :

The fulltext indexing & searching here works great.
The search completes in good time, but then I want it in a different
order, as described by index1 down below. This resorting step is the one
that takes forever, not the fulltext search.

So essentially, a FORCE INDEX(index1) is more appropriate, but if I do
that, then the order is fast, but the fulltext search takes forever !