Jon Miller wrote:

> I've been asked to setup a MySQL DB for critical mass usage.  The programmer is
> asking that I use MySQL-Max.  Does this have to be installed along with the regular
> MySQL version or is it a single product on it's own?

>From the MySQL/downloads page for 4.0:

The Standard binaries are recommended for most users, and includes the
InnoDB storage engine. The Max version includes additional features such
as the Berkeley DB storage engine and other features that have not been
exhaustively tested or are not required for general usage, such as
user-defined functions (UDFs), and BIG_TABLE support. When these
features have matured and proven to be stable, they will be incorporated
into future releases of the Standard binaries.

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html

--V