From: "John Utting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, 14 June, 2003 07:57
Subject: Setting root password

Hi,

I have installed MySQL  v4.0.13 on a Win2K machine. the installation
directory is C:\mysql

I've installed it as a service using 'mysqld-nt -install' and the service is
running.

I've checked to se that it is working using 'mysqlshow', 'mysqlshow mysql' &
'mysqladmin version status proc'.  All seems to be fine.

I have deleted the anonymous user with the following commands :
C:mysql\bin\mysql
use mysql
delete from user where User='';
quit
C:mysql\bin\mysqladmin reload

The problem is when I set the root password using the following command:
C:mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root password my_password

Although this sets a password for the root user when I enter the following

C:mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root -p reload

I am then prompted for a password, but when I enter it I receive the
following error:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)'

My PC is connected to a server and gets its IP address via DHCP.  Is this
part of the problem?

John.