Hi!

I have redhat 7.3 with the mysql packages that came with it.
Since RHSA-2003:093-14 came out I upgraded mysql with

mysql-3.23.56-1.73.i386.rpm
mysql-devel-3.23.56-1.73.i386.rpm
mysql-server-3.23.56-1.73.i386.rpm

When I try to start mysqld I get the following error message
in the log:

Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist.

After googling around a bit and looking at the mysql and
redhat lists I found that this is well-known problem so I
didn't panic and indeed found several useful suggestions:

1. The path to the basedir and/or datadir are not set
properly but I did set it properly in /etc/my.cnf (the
original that came with rh7.3 and the update were incorrect).

2. The privilages and/or ownership of the basedir and/or
datadir are not set properly but I also did that, even
setting it to 777 and ownership given to user mysql. I
(would :)) use user mysql to run mysqld.

3. Mysqld is complaining about innodb but since I don't need
it I give the option --skip-innodb to mysqld and this sorts
all innodb issues out.

After all this the bloody error message is still there and
mysqld wouldn't start!

Anyone has an idea?

A related question: I thought about installing the RPM from
mysql.com instead of the one provided by redhat. Since the
RPM from redhat doesn't seem to be of the same nature as the
one from mysql.com I'm not sure if I can simply do rpm -Fvh
<name of the package from mysql.com> on top of the package
from redhat. Do you have any comments on this?

I would be very grateful for any help, thanks,

Daniel

Some (hopefully) useful info:
glibc-2.2.5-34
kernel-2.4.20-18