Is it possible to convert the following query to run in MySQL?  The query is
based on a table called "ardata" which contains the fields 'author',
'lname', and 'fname'.  The 'author' field contains the authors first and
last name with a space in the middle.  I want to convert the names over so
the first and last names are in separate fields.  I was given this query
based on MS SQL but the PATINDEX( ) doesn't work in MySQL.  Any suggestions?

UPDATE ardata SET
author = LTRIM ( RTRIM ( author )),
lname = SUBSTRING ( author, PATINDEX ( '% %', name ) + 1, LEN ( name )),
fname = SUBSTRING ( author, PATINDEX ( '% %', name ));

Thanks,

Tom Johnson