On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:45:53 -0400, Martin's - Web Dept. wrote:
> I am quite willing to acknowledge that I'm new at this ...
>
> But I can't find the syntax error in this query:
>
> SELECT * FROM products WHERE MATCH (desc) AGAINST ('usb')
>
> desc is a field name, usb is the keyword I'm searching for.

As mentioned in another post desc is a reserved work and needs to be
enclosed in back ticks like `desc`.

Also, your select still won't return any rows because you are searching
for 'usb' which is three characters and the default minimum word length
for fulltext searches is 4 characters.

You may want to read:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html
and
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Fine-tuning.html

If you need to search for 3 character words, you need change your
my.cnf file to contain the following:
set-variable = ft_min_word_len=3

And restart the MySQL server.

> MYSQL version 4.0.12