Hi,

> configure: error: Didn't find the mysql library dir in

I had the same problem and I've fixed it manually (just edit
configure.in file).
In this file path to MySQl library directory is
"/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql", I changed it to "/usr/local/mysql/lib".
But I had a lot of other problems during installation.
So in my case correct steps were:
1. Change directory to mysql++-1.7.9 root. In my case it was
/install/mysql++-1.7.9,
but it depends where did you untar the file.
2. libtoolize -f
3. aclocal
4. Edit ./configure.in file.
4. automake