Just a note on this subject. We have a field that uses 0 to mean
something special too. It was a bad idea that is on my TODO list to fix
some day. (The corresponding table used 0 to mean something special, and
then joined to the table with the autoindex. The fix is too use null in
that other table and do a left join. I just don't like left joins if I
can avoid it.)

The note: In version 3.23.x, doing an ALTER TABLE would also change the
value of the row with autoindex value of 0. Version 4.0.x does not. So
you *really* need to watch out if you are using 3.23.x this
(unsupported) way.

You wanted mysqldump to make a safe backup, you will need to change it
yourself. You can do the dump in order, and after the first insert for
the zero row, do an update to make it really zero, then go on as normal.

Of course, its best to avoid all this and not use zero. Headaches
await...

-steve-