Hi all - thanks so much for the advice that has been coming in regarding my
mysql local installation problems. Here's what's going on - Tim and Paul - I
especially appreciated your replies - do you have any ideas on the following:

I reinstalled mysql (made sure I downloaded the binary with the installer,
per Tim's advice.) But when I ran the command suggested to start up
mysqlwinadmin, I wasn't prompted for a master password/login (although
everything else seemed to run smoothly). I tried once more to give access to
my database by running the following after logging in successfully to the
mysql monitor on command line:

GRANT all privileges on mydatabase.* to ""@localhost;

and got the following:

Error 1044: access denied for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul, I hope I'm being specific enough on the code and error messages - it's
clear to me that for some reason I'm still unable to set user rights. But
without having the option presented to me, I'm unsure how to fix the problem.
Again, I am running Windows 2000. Thanks again for any insight!

Regards,
Kirsten

Kirsten Belkhiria
Solutions Manager