If I have table A with a varchar and table B with a varchar, any
modification I make to A will have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on table B, and
vice-versa. If I want to change the varchar in table A and in table B, I
will have to make the change to each one separately and explicitly.

Does that make it more clear?

Regards,
Mike Hillyer
www.vbmysql.com