Is the mysql server currently running? You can also use either -S or
--socket to specify the socket connection.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin H. Phillips [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 8:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mysql.sock doesn't exist

I apologize for posting about something which has probably been covered
before but I can't remember where I have seen this dealt with.  I have
been trying to upgrade/install/re-install MySQL 4.0.13 and when I try to
do any administrative work (set root password, for example) I get this
message:

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

I have run searches for the mysql.sock file and it isn't showing up on
my system (RedHat 9.0 fully updated).  I had rebuilt 4.0.13 from the
source rpm.  I thought I remembered that the mysql.sock file was created
when the daemon was first run but can't remember where I saw that.

Thanks for any help.  You may e-mail me directly if you wish.

Kevin Phillips