Hi,

I am created a user by using:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO username@"%" IDENTIFIED BY
"password"

I did this from the mysql command line tool, logged in
as root. The command succeeds and the new user is
created in the mysql.user table, but the password does
not work. I can only use this new user if I use a
empty string password (no password).

I also tried to do the SET PASSWORD afterwords, no
luck. I then tried the Windows GUI / Administration to
grant access and then set the password, but again,
only an empty string password is accepted.

I am using mysql 4.0.13.

How do I actually get the password validation to be
activated and instruct the server that the new user
must provide his password?