I.-A.,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""I-A.Kotopoulos"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:05 AM
Subject: InnoDB file...

> ------=_NextPart_000_00B5_01C33B01.642AD2C0
>
> When should I use the autoextend option for the InnoDB file...Even after =
> emptying the tables the files keeps its size and for new insertions it =
> gets even bigger instead of using the already allocated space(which I =
> suppose should be available after emptyibg the tables).

yes, it should free the space if you empty the table. The size of ibdata1
will stay the same, but other tables can use the freed space.

Are you sure you do not have long-running transactions dangling? Use

SHOW INNODB STATUS\G

to print a list of transactions.

The purge operation cannot remove delete-marked rows if there are old
transactions which could still see them.

> thank you friends
> aik_b
>
> p.s. MySQL doesn't seem to do a good usage of the disk space and the =
> InnoDB file size and its density..anyway

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Transactions, foreign keys, and a hot backup tool for MySQL
Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/