# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-25 15:18:09 +1000:
> From: "Roman Neuhauser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >     please don't piggyback on other people's threads. you can start your
> >     own for free.
>
> Although it was the first time for me to send the post on this list, I was
> sure that I did not follow other people's threads.  I checked my original
> post again after read your response, and I did start with a new thread.
> However, I apologize if somehow I did make any mistake.

    What I was referring to was the fact that you posted to the list by
    hitting the reply button (or whatever technic you use) to an
    unrelated post, replaced the subject, and sent it to the list. doing
    it this way leaves certain headers in you post that make it look
    like it's a reply to the message you "abused" this way, which screws
    threading in mail clients that can do such thing.

> > # [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-24 09:46:24 +1000:
> > > I am using LOAD DATA INFILE to import some data to MySQL.  I would
> > > like to leave some fields blank and use the default value set in
> > > the tables.  I have spent many hours trying to find the problem,
> > > but no luck so far.  According to the manual, it should work.  I
> > > am hoping some one on this list would help me.  The following is
> > > sql query string I used:
> > >
> > > LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE \' file \' REPLACE INTO TABLE table
> > > FIELDS TERMINATED BY \'terminator\' ENCLOSED BY \'\"\'

> >     LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'file'
> >         REPLACE
> >         INTO TABLE table
> >         FIELDS
> >             TERMINATED BY 'terminator'
> >             ENCLOSED BY '"'
> >     (col1, col3, col5)

> I tried every thing I could think following the manual for LOAD DATA
> before I joined this list.  I probably did not explain my problem
> clearly in my initial post.  What I try to do is to import a csv data
> file into MySQL using "LOAD DATA INFILE ...".  I would like to leave
> some fields blank in the csv file, and let MySQL to set default values
> to those fields in the database when loading the data.  But every
> thing goes fine except the default values do not set.

    You made yourself quite clear in your original post. Does what I
    suggested not do what you want?

    Send in:

    * output of the DESCRIBE command for your table
    * the actual LOAD DATA command you used
    * SELECT * after LOADing a few lines of sample data into the table
      (just the imported lines)