I am attempting to modify the GRANT table using the syntax specified in the
MySQL 4.0.13 documentation, and am getting error messages claiming the
syntax is incorrect. (I'm running MySQL on Windows 98, by the way.) I used
mysqlc with root access.

mysql> USE mysql;
Database changed
mysql> GRANT SELECT ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'update';
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'[EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'update'' at line 1
mysql>

>From the manual, the syntax:

GRANT priv_type [(column_list)] [, priv_type [(column_list)] ...]
    ON {tbl_name | * | *.* | db_name.*}
    TO user_name [IDENTIFIED BY [PASSWORD] 'password']
        [, user_name [IDENTIFIED BY 'password'] ...]
    [REQUIRE
        NONE |
        [{SSL| X509}]
        [CIPHER cipher [AND]]
        [ISSUER issuer [AND]]
        [SUBJECT subject]]
    [WITH [GRANT OPTION | MAX_QUERIES_PER_HOUR # |
                          MAX_UPDATES_PER_HOUR # |
                          MAX_CONNECTIONS_PER_HOUR #]]

... and the following examples:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@"%"
    ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT RELOAD,PROCESS ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED];
mysql> GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED];

It appears that my syntax is consistant with the examples provided in the
4.0.13 documentation. The root account, of course, has full privileges with
GRANT.

Any ideas?