You could use replication of the occasional MySQLDump. Replication will
make your development server a slave to your production server, causing
every query done on the master to be reproduced on the slave.

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html for more info.

Mysqldump will create a script that will dump the data from production
to your development box. If you will be manipulating the data on the dev
server extensively, you will need this method to bring it back to
conformance, as replication slaves (your dev box) would not be able to
handle non-SELECT queries.

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqldump.html for info.

Regards,
Mike Hillyer