I have searched the archives and the docs - and I cannot seem to find or
adapt an answer to this particular problem, hopefully someone out there
either knows how or can say simply that it cannot be done.

I have two tables that have the exact same schema, orders and old_orders:

order_id bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL default 0,
order_reference varchar(30) default NULL,
orderplaced datetime default NULL,
member_id bigint(20) unsigned default NULL,
shplabel varchar(50) default NULL,
shpprice decimal(5,2) default NULL,
shpregion bigint(20) unsigned default NULL,
paymethod varchar(10) default NULL,
taxes text,
cod decimal(5,2) default NULL,
codlabel varchar(30) default NULL,
sh decimal(5,2) default NULL,
shlabel varchar(30) default NULL,
ordertotal decimal(10,2) default 0.00,
status varchar(30) default NULL,
trackingnum varchar(50) default NULL,
trackingcompany varchar(50) default NULL,
customernotes text,
adminnotes text,
PRIMARY KEY(order_id)

I want to get a count of the 2 tables combined where the member id is a
specific number.  I.e. Something like:

Select count(*) from orders,old_orders where orders.member_id='2' or
old_orders.member_id='2';

The problem is the above returns 3 rows, the two tables combined in each of
the rows!  I know that there is 4 records between the 2 tables that should
bring the result.

I really do not want to do this in two queries, I would prefer to do it in
one....

Is it possible to do what I am asking?  If so could someone point me in the
right direction?

TIA

--
Cheers

Mike Morton

*
* Tel: 905-465-1263
* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*

"Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history of the
computer industry for the past decade as a massive effort to keep up with
Apple."
- Byte Magazine

Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works of
Shakespeare. Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes.
-- NullGrey