On June 25, 2003 09:59, PAUL MENARD wrote:
> > I've been considering upgrading my data , MySQL
> > 3.23.42 to 4.013 or even going to 4.1. I've read on
> > the MySQL upgrade documents that some client might be
> > affected when upgrading to 4.1. It does specifically
> > mention Perl which I use to supplement PHP. By I'm
> > more concerned about PHP.
> >
> > Should I be concerned?
>
> Yes, it will not work at all.  MySQL 4.1 uses a protocol that's not
> compatible with MySQL 3.23 and 4.0.

  Hi Paul,

  MySQL 4.1 does use a new enhanced protocol that supports
  cool things like compression and prepared queries.

  However, a 3.23.x/4.0 client can still connect to a MySQL 4.x version
  server. If you are upgrading from a non-4.1 version and do not update
  the mysql user table to the new format, then connecting will be no
  problem (However, the password hashes used in 4.1 are much harder to
  compromise.)

  If you are setting up a new 4.1 server, you can set --old-passwords
  when starting mysqld to force the server to use old passwords, or use
  the OLD_PASSWORD() function to set a users password to the old-style
  password, which would allow a 3.23/4.0 client to connect.

  Look for some extra info at
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/What-to-do-from-4.0.html

> You need to use the ext/mysqli extension for it to work, but there
> are two problems with this:
>
> 1) it is only available with PHP5 which is not released yet.

  PHP 5 will be released in a beta stage shortly.

  IIRC the mysqli extension has been or will be ported to PHP 4.

> 2) it cannot be legally used since the MySQL 4.1 client libraries
> have been re-licensed under the GPL (old versions of the client
> libraries used to be under the more friendly LGPL).

  We are currently working on an extension to allow MySQL to
  be linked and distributed with software that is licenced under
  a valid open source license (as defined by the Open Source Initiative
  - http://www.opensource.org/)

  This will allow PHP to use us without licensing issues. As for Perl,
  IIRC the DBI stuff is dual-licensed under Artistic/GPL - like the rest
  of Perl. DBI should have no problem with the licensing change.

  The details are still in flux - expect firm details in a few weeks or
  so.

Cheers!
--
Zak Greant