From: Keith C. Ivey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 2:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Best Pratices for mySQL Backups in Enterprise

On 26 Jun 2003 at 17:16, Ware Adams wrote:

> mysqldump creates text files containing insert statements that
> recreate a table and repopulate it with data.  They are somewhat
> portable across database servers and human editable if necessary.
> They take up less space than the original table because they do not
> contain indices (only the statements that would create the indices).

The dump file will be larger than the MyISAM data file for the
original table -- especially if you have many non-text columns
(dates, numbers, ENUM columns, etc.).  In some cases, when you have
large indexes, the index file will be large enough that it and the
data file combined will be larger than the dump file, but in some
cases it won't be.  I wouldn't consider the difference in size,
whichever way it goes, to be significant in deciding between backup
methods.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tobacco Documents Online