From: John Nichel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 8:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mysql.sock doesn't exist

Kevin H. Phillips wrote:
> Well, the find / -name mysql.sock didn't return anything at all so this
> *is* an odd predicament.  Would it work if someone with a similar
> version e-mailed me a copy of their mysql.sock file?
>
> Kevin
>
>  >
>  >
>  > John Nichel wrote:
> It doesn't look as if you have any conflicting MySQL versions.  When the
> server is running, have you looked for the socket (someone may have
> already asked you this, but I'm running out of ideas)?
>
> find / -name mysql.sock

mysql.sock isn't a 'file' in the normal sense of the word.  It's more
like a symbolic link to the socket which is bound to the the port MySQL
is listening on (so to speak).  It can't really be sent to you, as it
has to be generated when the server starts up.  Let me recap what we've
done here so that hopefully someone will reconize the problem for you...

MySQL is running (verified with a ps -ax)
mysql.sock does not exist
cannot shutdown server, even as root

What's the permissions on the /var/lib/mysql directory, and what
user/group is the mysql daemon set to run as in your my.cnf file?