I'm new to MySQL, and only have limited experience in modifying some legacy
dBase IV code.

One of the minor aggravations I occasionally encounter when using management
systems is how best to handle names, particularly the many individual name
segments of names.  Typically the name field is of a fixed length which usually
is way too long for most names, but occasionally too short for other (often
important) names.  Also, sometimes there are two name fields, both of the same
length, which is great overkill for most needs, but still inadequate for some.

Is there a good solution to the problem of handling a wide variety of name
segments, that are part of a wide variety of names, that belong to a wide
variety of entities?  It would be ideal if it were possible to have an unlimited
number of name segments that combine into one name AND also the ability to have
an unlimited number of names.

Any suggestions on how this might be done?

Thanks,

V Harris