sorry, should have said - I get the record created, but with a null value in the blob - as you would for a file larger than the max_allowed. but I've checked numerous times (and have gone up to longblob) and still can't load above around 1mb.
I should also mention that it's running on the same machine, so I shouldn't be having any problems from the server.

-s