Greetings,

Lenz Grimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, David Griffiths wrote:
>
> > A 64-bit CPU won't have the 4-gig memory limit that a 32-bit processor
> > will; even worse, Linux is apparently limited to about a 2-gig process.
>
> It depends - there is a BIGMEM patch from Andrea Arcangeli that raised
> that limit to 3.5 GB on 32bit systems. I think the patch is in the
> mainline kernel as well by now.

There is still a problem with malloc. Malloc takes a unsigned int but
the msb it discarded to safeguard against problems with signing. So,
with Arcangelis kernel-patch mysqld can safely grow up to 3.5GB but no
single buffer can grow beyound 2GB - as each buffer is allocated in one
go (at least innodb_buffer_pool - which is the one I care about).

I have not tried to remove limittation this due to lack of time and a
proper test rig. Maybe someone at MySQL might give it a go? You probably
have better "torture chambers" too. ;)

--
Per Andreas Buer