I need to have a user input a city and have MySQL pull up any records with
that city OR nearby cities (within 10 mi).  Which of the following would be
the most efficient way to do this:

Case A:

When a user enters a city, an array of nearby cities is created so that an
SQL statement like the following is generated:

SELECT * FROM bc_posts WHERE
post_citysoundex = 'A265' OR
post_citysoundex = 'A415' OR
post_citysoundex = 'A453' OR
post_citysoundex = 'A430' OR
post_citysoundex = 'A624' OR
post_citysoundex = 'A350' OR
.
.
.

This statement would probably be much larger (upto 150 lines) and would
query one table without additional joins.

Case B:

Here, when a user enters a city, the soundex of it is created and then
queries a table that contains every city in the db PLUS all surrounding
cities (calculated and inserted with each new city insert). Obviously, here
the table would get large while my actual SQL statement is pretty
straightforward but would require a join.

I'm not sure which of these is the more elegant approach or would scale up
much easier. Any input from the DB gurus would be appreciated!  Thanks!