I think a network filesystem would add a LOT of latency, perhaps you need a SAN type solution?

This way the data could be off on some other device, possibly accessible to more than one host.

--s
On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 10:11 AM, Mike Hillyer wrote:

Well, if we are talking about a one to one relationship between MySQL
and repository, you can always share the folder the data files will be
stored in using NFS or SMB, and then just adjust the datadir entry in
the my.cnf file appropriately. The performance of such a solution will
probably be degraded though.

Regards,
Mike Hillyer
www.vbmysql.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Aleksandr Zingorenko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 11:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Having MySQL Server and databases on different computers

I am wondering if it is possible to run MySQL Server on one
computer on a
LAN, but have all the databases be stored on another computer
on that LAN
(such that the other machine is like a data repository that the MySQL
server machine can access when needed without having to store
any of the
data in itself).  In the case this is not possible, what
operation can
achieve something that is closest to what I have described?
Thank you
very much in advance.