At 20:57 -0400 7/2/03, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Todd,

It didn't help. Here is the message:
----------------
$ cd /usr/local/mysql
$ ./bin/mysqld_safe
The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable
Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart
this script from there as follows:
./bin/mysqld_safe.
$
---------------------------
It worked fine until yesterday. SA told me he had rebuilt /user/local
directory
this morning. All the files are still there after the build.

I'm surprised that you didn't consider this information relevant, and that you only just now tell us this after several messages.

It seems most likely that the reason MySQL no longer starts properly is
that your SA broke something.  In particular, it's likely that the server
was located at /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld and that it has been deleted.

 Actually I have
two versions of mysql. I would like to start mysqld using different version
of
mysql that I installed in a different location. I wonder where the path
'/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld' stored in the system. Can we change this
path
somewhere in the parameter file?

That's the path where mysqld_safe is expecting to find the server. If it's stored somewhere else, say /usr/sbin/mysqld, you can specify the --ledir argument to mysqld_safe to indicate the directory where the server is. For example, you can put this in /etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld_safe]
ledir==/usr/sbin

Then run mysqld_safe again and it should attempt to execute /usr/sbin/mysqld.

Thanks, song

 I got the following message when trying to start the mysql instance:
 ------------
 $ mysqld_safe &
 [1]     22717
 $ The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not
 executable
 Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart
 this script from there as follows:
 ./bin/mysqld_safe.

Can anyone help me to resolve this? It is emergency.

Regards,

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA