You should have stopped mysql before running the update.
The update might have removed the socket file, leaving the server with no way to communicate.
you may try connecting through the network interface.
mysqladmin -h 127.0.0.1 shutdown
If that does not work, kill the running mysqld processes along with the safe_mysqld or mysqld_safe.

Phil Rotsky wrote:

I've just installed various updates to SuSE 8.2 via SuSE's web site. One of these was an update to MySQL to fix a security bug. Now MySQL doesn't work!

During boot-up, I get the message that MySQL failed. In the log it says:
        starting service mysql
        failed
        [..]S13mysql start exits with status 1

When I try to start MySQL manually, it also fails. When I looked in mysqld.log it seems to think mysql is already running because port 3306 is taken. In YaST runlevel editor I looked and, sure enough, it believes mysql is up and running. However, when I try to use it I get:

'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

And sure enough, mysql.sock doesn't exist in that directory. In fact, I can't find it anywhere on the machine! Why would it just vanish?

Before I really start screwing things up, any thoughts where I should start...?