Mario wrote:

>"Victoria Reznichenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>"Mario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm a newbie in experimental mode and have just deleted /ALL/ databases
>>>

>on a
>

>>>MySQL server, i.e. including the one ("mysql") that contains all the
>>>administrative stuff like users, privileges, etc. Is there some way to
>>>recreate some default version of that database short of reinstalling the
>>>server? Thx!
>>>

>>Run mysql_install_db script.
>>

>OK, thanks, that helped - once or twice. After some more "experimenting",
>unfortunately, all access attempts are now denied. After running
>mysql_install_db over and over again (with no error mesages) and countless
>attempts to set the password using mysqladmin with all possible
>combinations of usernames, passwords, hosts and sockets I can think of
>(there are not that many of course), I still cannot connect. So, I'm now
>left wondering if there isn't a way to reinitialize the server to some
>/well/-defined state from which I can restart building tables??? Thx

I think you need to reinstall mysql. If your OS supports RPMs then use
the -f (or --force ) option when installing the mysql rpms. You might
need to install all the essential three: MySQL-server, MySQL-client, and
MySQL-devel with the force option. The databases should be rebuilt from
scratch without regard to what you already have.

Peter Aganyo