I am running WinXP Home, upgraded from Win 98, on an AMD 1G.

After I installed MySQL 4.0.13, my system began to degrade.  Eventually,
things got so slow that it took several seconds for Windows, including the
login screen and start meny, to respond to my mouse clicks.  Rebooting
did not help; if anything performance seemed to degrade with each reboot,
the more recent reboots seemed to take forever.

Along with the reduced performance, I have recently been seeing other
issues, such as Apache timeouts on http://localhost/ and seg faults in
apps, most notably the e-mail composer.  It got to the point that about half
the time, I could not access my home page or compose an email.

I checked the task manager, and could see no immediate reason for the
performance hit.  CPU was at 1%, page use was about 25%, and there was
no unusual paging activity.  There were 32 processes, all related to system,
Gator, Apache, and MySQL.  They all seemed to be using reasonable amounts
of memory, including MySQL at about 15MB.  Total memory usage was well
within the available memory.  All of the processes were associated with
Windows, Apache, MySQL, and Gator.

Does anyone know of any bugs, interactions, or missettings that might
cause this kind of behavior?  I would dearly like to learn MySQL, but I can't
reinstall it if it is going to peg my system.

- Dave Wilson