I have installed a Mac OS X 'PKG' binary package on my OS version 10.2.6 Mac.

I have been instructed that after the installation I can start up MySQL by running the following command lines:

[Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
Password:
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
030707 12:31:53  mysqld ended

[Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% bg
bg: No current job.

Instructions state that I should now be able to connect to MySQL server,
e.g. by running

[Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)

It appears that the server is not running...any suggestions?

I have checked to see if the mysql.sock exists and it appears to be there:
[Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% ls /tmp
501 mysql.sock printers printing.462

Thank you,
Mark D