You're using Windows, so I can't make any promises because this is what
I'd do under *nix, but when I first set up mySQL if I type:

# mysql -h localhost -p

The password will be denied, because no password is needed.  So I'd
type:

# mysql -h localhost

And get in.  This is under the /root/, and I can then:

mysql> USE mysql
mysql> UPDATE user SET password = password('pass') WHERE
username='root';
And, of course, on any created database I can

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON some_db.* TO username;
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Disclaimer: I'm not looking at my reference card and typing rather
quickly so my syntax may be off a little here and there.  Hope that
helps!

-Dan