At 9:39 +0200 7/7/03, Florian Weimer wrote:
I've got a table with 100 million rows and need some indexes on it
(one row is 126 bytes).

I'm currently using MyISAM and the indexing proceeds at an
astonishingly low rate: about 200 MB per hour.  This is rate is far
too low; if we had to recover the database for some reason, we'd have
to wait for days.

The table looks like this:

CREATE TABLE flows (
        version    CHAR NOT NULL,
        router     CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        src_ip     CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        dst_ip     CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        protocol   TINYINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        src_port   MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        dst_port   MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        packets    INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        bytes      INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        src_if     MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        dst_if     MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        src_as     MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        dst_as     MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
        src_net    CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
        dst_net    CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
        direction  CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
        class      CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
        start_time CHAR(24),
        end_time   CHAR(24)
);

Indexes are created using this statement:

mysql> ALTER TABLE flows
    -> ADD INDEX dst_ip (dst_ip, src_ip),
    -> ADD INDEX dst_port (dst_port, start_time),
    -> ADD INDEX src_ip (src_ip, start_time),
    -> ADD INDEX time (start_time);

In theory, we could represent the columns router, src_ip, dst_ip,
start_time, end_time using integers of the appropriate size, but this
would make ad-hoc queries harder to type (and porting our applications
would be even more difficult).

Perhaps, but as a test, you might add a couple of extra columns to the table, then populate them like this after loading the table:

UPDATE flows SET int_src_ip = INET_ATON(src_ip), int_dst_ip = INET_ATON(dst_ip);

Then try creating the indexes using int_src_ip and int_dst_ip rather
than src_ip and dst_ip.

If it's significantly faster, you may want to reconsider whether it might
not be worth using INET_ATON(X) in your queries rather than X.

Should I switch to another table type?

It's easy enough to convert the table to, e.g., InnoDB and then create the indexes, so an empirical test should not be difficult.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/