If you are looking for ways to retrieve and store hierarchical data
(employees and managers, for instance)
I'll also recommend looking at the Nested Set hierarchy.  Search news
groups for it, and look into Joe Celko's book _SQL For Smarties_, which
describes the technique.  You can store a complete hierarchical tree in
mySQL, get the list of managers for an employee (in descending/ascending
order) etc..  It's a powerful structure.

I've used it to create powerful structures that operate, with the same
SQL, on oracle, mysql, sql server, and others.