Is it possible to issue multiple sql statements in a single php request?
(Probably not since I get a syntax error. mysql 4.0.13).

For example:

$result = mysql_query("drop table if exists tmptab;
        create temporary table tmptab select * from othertab;
        select * from tmptab where <whatever>");

Or do I need to do 'mysql_query' three times?

(I know the temp table is not necessary for the example but the real
query is more complex and does need it.)

My problem is that I've got a query similar to the above that works
correctly when I call it from the command line as

'mysql database < query.sql'

but gives a wrong answer when I issue it from php. I've triple and
quadruple checked that the queries are the same. The only difference
I've been able to see is the single versus multiple calls.

Any other ideas?

BTW, it's only one row of the result set that's wrong.

--
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."
                -- H. H. Munro (Saki)