From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: woensdag 9 juli 2003 18:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: order of table joins or where clauses relevant?

As we're on this topic in another thread right now:

Say I have a SELECT query from more than one table and with some
conditions, does it matter in what order I enter the tables in the FROM
clause and in what order the WHERE conditions appear in my query? Or
does it make any difference if I use WHERE or HAVING? (I see that MS
Access likes those HAVINGs...)

Of course my tables contain (maybe very much) more than some 100 records
and are well-indexed, I believe.... but that's not my question for now.

I guess, the MySQL optimizer reads the table and column names in the
specified order and tries to process them the same way, right? Or it
joins the tables in my given order... And when are the resulting records
reduced by matching against my conditions? Maybe someone can tell me a
little bit about performance gains just by doing some 'manual query
optimization' :)

Yves Goergen
www.unclassified.de