From: Florian Weimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: donderdag 10 juli 2003 10:06
To: Dathan Vance Pattishall
Cc: 'Paul DuBois'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Faster reindexing

"Dathan Vance Pattishall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Maybe increasing
>
> #use for when mysql is doing a check or repair
> set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
>
> to a higher value will make the index happen faster on the fly.

MySQL doesn't seem to honour this variable.  I've set it to '1024M',
but the process size stays below 512 MB (which are occupied by other
buffers).

The indexing rate drops to a less than 6 MB per *hour* once 10 million
(or so) records have been processed.

It appears as if the only solution is splitting the table into 20 or
30 smaller ones and using a MERGE table.  But if this is required, I
might also do this using the existing RDBMS.