Here's the last couple of items from the error log.:

Number of processes running now: 0
030707 21:03:37 mysqld restarted
030707 21:03:37 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43892
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43892
030707 21:03:37 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
030707 21:03:37 InnoDB: Started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.13-log' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3308
030709 17:56:04 mysqld started
Warning: Ignoring user change to 'root' because the user was set to 'root' earlier on the command line
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
A mysqld process already exists at Wed Jul 9 20:13:04 CDT 2003
A mysqld process already exists at Wed Jul 9 20:13:14 CDT 2003
A mysqld process already exists at Wed Jul 9 20:15:42 CDT 2003
A mysqld process already exists at Wed Jul 9 20:15:50 CDT 2003
030709 20:39:49 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

030709 20:39:49 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

030709 20:39:49 mysqld ended

030709 21:03:48 mysqld started
Warning: Ignoring user change to 'mysql' because the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
A mysqld process already exists at Wed Jul 9 21:19:21 CDT 2003

Nils Valentin wrote:
Hi Kevin,

In this case the error log file (hostname.err) in f.e /var/lib/mysql should give you an idea whats going on.

Perhaps the settings inside the my.cnf from the newer version are very different then from the older version.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan