> The db directory is 80mb total
> handling 14 requests/s with all queries being simple INSERT or SELECT's.

1GB ram should be more than enough for your needs.  If you are doing lots of
the same kind of selects, I would dedicate a good chunk of that memory to
MySQL query caching (maybe 64MB ish).  If it's quite insert heavy then I
would put some more emphesis on disk speed (get scsi 10,000 rpm disk).  If,
as you say, your queries are simple then that configuration should give you
plenty of capacity to expand to hundreds of queries per second.  Another
good thing to do if you go for a 1GB solution would be to make sure that the
server has 2 x 512MB sticks of ram (or even 1 x 1GB) so that there are slots
free for future expansion in that area (in other words don't let them fill
all the slots with 256MB sticks).

> Dell salesmen started pushing 3-4Gb of ram, i'm not sure if this is
excessive though.
This is excessive indeed! (disclaimer: I think Dell are an excellent company
and I respect what they do.)

Hope this helps,

Andrew