I recently noticed that my MySQL server was getting about 3 connections every 2
seconds.  Checking the error log I discovered that a user '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' was
trying to connect to the server over and over and over and failing each time.  Curious
as to what this 'user' was trying to do, I allowed the user to connect.  It turns out
that the user simply executed the commands: SHOW DATABASES LIKE %, SHOW PROCESSLIST,
SHOW STATUS once and then continued to SHOW STATUS every 10 seconds until I killed the
connection, at which point it started the entire sequence again.

After much trial and error I discovered that changing the line "QueryInterval=10" in
the my.cnf file to "QueryInterval=0" would fix this problem, and kept the user from
trying to log onto the server.

However, I have no idea why this worked an cannot find information anywhere about the
"QueryInterval" Variable.

Does anyone know what effect my changing the value of QueryInterval will have, or
where I can find information about it, most importantly, will changing the value to
zero have any adverse effects on the server?

Thanks,
-Charlie

P.S. I'm running 4.0.13-nt on Windows 2000 Server and using ODBC to connect from a
variety of other systems.