Steve,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: innodb file won't shrink

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=9dpadc%2412ag%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw

> That was from 2001 and talks about the potential for INNODB tools...
> does anyone know if any work has been made on those?  I just can't
> believe that there's no real way for me to make this file smaller when
> the space is no longer needed/used... the suggested -> dump the
> database and then recreate it just won't since I have a 34+GB db and
> no more space on my drive?
>
> Anyone?  Please!

sorry, it is not possible to shrink the InnoDB tablespace without recreating
it. You may try gzip or some other tool to compress the table dumps if they
would not otherwise fit on your disk.

On September 15th, 2003 you will be able to put every InnoDB table into its
own file. That should alleviate this kind of problem.

> -Steve

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Transactions, foreign keys, and a hot backup tool for MySQL
Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/