What works for me with mysql 3.23.49 of Debian GNU/Linux (Woody),
does not any more with  mysql 3.23.56 of fink (current-stable,
for fink cf. fink.sf.net) - I am not sure, if this problem is caused
by the mysql version (some security changes between .49 and .56)
or by the fink configuration - I might ask at the fink-users list
later.

I am trying to create a database and a mysql user with privileges to
use it - a rather simple thing to do (my knowledge is mostly from Paul
Du Bois' books: "MySQL" and "MySQL Recipes")

I start creating the database as the mysql root user

  $ mysqladmin -u root -p*** create myFineDb

Next, I create the user and give him privileges to use
myFineDb (again as the mysql root user)

  $ mysql -u root -p***
  mysql> grant all on myFineDb.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by "abcpass";
  mysql> ^D (to leave mysql)

(So far no problems, now comes the thing:)

  $ mysql -u abc -pabcpass myFineDb

Works fine in Debian (.49) but not in fink (.56):

  [mac:~] reuleaux% mysql -u abc -pabcpass myFineDb
  ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'myfinedb'
  [mac:~] reuleaux%

If I look closer at the problem I see that I can at least log in
but not use the database:

  [mac:~] reuleaux% mysql -u abc -pabcpass
  Your MySQL connection id is 24 to server version: 3.23.56

  mysql> use myFineDb;
  ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'myfinedb'
  mysql>

I have tried variations of the upper grant command with no succes either:

  ...to 'abc'@'localhost' ...

Any help is appreciated.

Andreas