From: Eternal Designs, Inc [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: dinsdag 15 juli 2003 4:17
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: !!! NEWBIW !!! how to start? !!! NEWBIE !!!

William R. Mussatto wrote:

>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>Im extremaly newbie with using MySQL under Linux.
>>Im using:  mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.51, for slackware-linux-gnu
>>(i386) - ( btw - should i uprgade this or its enough to learn ? )
>>

>>My question is:
>>
>>How to start mysql deamon?
>>When i type: mysqld
>> then apear:
>>ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>>'/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>>
>>Whats wrong?
>>Its a default installation
>>
>>I have a little experience with MySQL under MS Windows ( run mysqld
then
>>open MySQLadmin and thats it ), but i wish to use database under
>>Linux.
>>
>>If any one can help then o would be in debt forever.
>>
>>--
>>Best regards,
>> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>Did you try typing 'ps aux | grep mysqld' ?  You should get three lines
>(plus sometimes the grep line) if the server is running.
>Normally you will start a safe_mysqld rather than mysqld
>Alternatively you would start it with mysqladmin
>
>William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
>Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
>FAX. 909-608-7061

I believe William is right. I have had the same error more than twice
and this is what I did to solve it - I just can't explain why. My Linux
8.0 comes with X Window System and I use the GNOME desktop.
Main Menu | Server Settings (I thing - cause I am now in Windows) |
Services
Then I scrolled down and put a check mark on mysql and then updated
I then scrolled down to xinetd, highlighted it and then click Restart on

the Services Toolbar.
When I went back to the command line, I was able to launch mysql.
Hope this helps!!
--

Peter K. Aganyo
Eternal Designs Inc.,